Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Random Silliness (without the use of children)

So, most people that have blogs have a certain subject they often use as their subject matter, and often that's children or something. I don't have kids yet, but I have the funniest darn things happen to me on a regular basis! Even if these things involve me and humiliation, I always share my stories with others, so I'm now typing it instead of telling the story over and over. I am a firm advocate of laughing hysterically as often as possible, and I hope my random stories help you laugh, too!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

This might be my favorite day of the year. *Almost* everyone is off work, and we all just focus on...well, eating and family. (Not eating your family, though)
The husband has to work today. He's been working a lot this week, and he's been to New York, Mississippi, and North Carolina over the past three days, so I hope he's not going to have to travel today so we can have our first ever Thanksgiving dinner at home. Since he's not been at work for a few days, he didn't know what sort of party or meal they were having there. He knew they were talking about a potluck, but wasn't sure what everyone was bringing. I told him I would make *semi-homemade* rolls, but he said he didn't want me to go to much trouble. Uhhh, does he realize that I don't actually mix and knead that dough? Anyways, I realized that I had a couple of already prepared pizza crusts (I like to keep these on hand for cheeseburger pizza) and we had plenty of sausage. We're country people at heart, so we always have plenty of eggs on hand, so I told him I could make breakfast pizza, so if nobody brings lunch food, they could at least have Thanksgiving breakfast. I forgot that meant I would have to wake up at 5:30 to prepare it. So, I heard the alarm and smiled inside, because I knew that I was off today. Oops! He asked me if I was getting up, and I remembered what I was supposed to do, so I jumped up and ran to the kitchen. I fixed two big pizzas, cut them up, and trusted the husband with two of my new Tupperware bowls...with the lids on. He'll bring them back home if he knows what's good for him! :) After he left, I drove down the street to get a newspaper at 7am, so I could map and plan tomorrow morning's activities for myself and the poor soul (the husband, of course) that I'm going to drug and drag along. He's a good sport, so I'm sure if he sees the Sears sign at 6am, he will just walk toward the light and I will pick him up there about noon, after I have my arms full of shopping bags and lots of goodies, and hopefully those goodies will be for someone other than myself. I have a tendency to purchase things for myself when I see such good deals! I will make a list tonight, but I already know that I am starting my day at Bath & Body Works because I need a few things (for myself). I'm planning on that purchase being the single selfish purchase for the entire day, but it won't be!
My turkey is in the oven and almost done, the green bean casserole is mixed and ready to go in the oven, my rolls are rising, and my mashed potatoes need to be heated. I will heat the gravy and make the Stove Top stuffing right before we're ready to eat. I told the husband that we were going to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with stuffing and everything (bless his heart, he hates stuffing because he says it's just soggy bread). I told him it was time that we had our own traditions, and he said that his family's tradition was Coconut Cream pie. I know he's full of shit, but I know he loves that darn pie, so I called my friend Sara Lee, and she left one at the grocery store just for him yesterday! Having our own traditional Thanksgiving also means that we will suffer through leftover turkey just like everyone else does!

I've thought of a few more things I'm thankful for:

* Pop singers are reinforcing the importance of spelling these days. I know that many people have learned to spell "B-A-N-A-N-A-S" from Gwen Stefani and Fergie has recently taught people to spell "D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S" in her new song. In the past, Men Without Hats taught us to spell "S-A-F-E-T-Y" and Aretha Franklin taught us to spell (and sing) "R-E-S-P-E-C-T." Spellers of America shall no longer be considered weirdos! (I'm hoping!)

* My husband and I can laugh together. He doesn't beat me, yell at me, make me cook for him or serve him. That's something to be thankful for! I sometimes cook for him and serve him, but I don't *HAVE* to. That's the key word! And, he appreciates what I do for him, and I appreciate what he does for me.

* We have secure jobs with good benefits and work with people we sort of enjoy and almost like sometimes. My job even allows laughing on occasion. I am a "Retention Coordinator," which means a guidance counselor for college students (that tend to drop out of school quite often). The word "retention" sounds stupid, and one student asked me if I held students, since retain means "to hold." We laughed, then I replied, "NO!" But, I love my job, and I really feel that I make a difference. Just this week, a student called their professor, (who I know really well), a "hardass etc." with a few other statements about them not knowing how to teach, etc. This is a rare occurrence, but it's always interesting to hear what they have to say! I've also had a student that wrote "F**k Off!" in an email to his professor. Saying it is one thing, but emailing an obscenity like that is crazy!!! So, it all worked out after he apologized (by email, of course), but it's stuff like this that make me appreciate a normal day when I can just help people with minor problems!

* We live in a nice neighborhood with nice and quiet neighbors.

* My bad haircut has been fixed.

I've got to tend to my turkey, but I'm thankful for so much more!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that I am thankful for you and your blogs that make me laugh so hard I cry and pee on myself! You are so wonderful and I'll love you forever!! Jenn

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Redneck Diva said...

My son has become a speller. Every time I hear him say, "M-o-m, can I have some f-o-o-d? P-l-e-a-s-e?" I think of you.

Just thought you'd like to know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home