Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Random Silliness (without the use of children)

So, most people that have blogs have a certain subject they often use as their subject matter, and often that's children or something. I don't have kids yet, but I have the funniest darn things happen to me on a regular basis! Even if these things involve me and humiliation, I always share my stories with others, so I'm now typing it instead of telling the story over and over. I am a firm advocate of laughing hysterically as often as possible, and I hope my random stories help you laugh, too!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Thanksgiving Eating Festivities have begun!!!

Today, we had our Thanksgiving at work. It's always interesting to see what everyone contributes to the meal! I made green bean casserole (my first time making it) and homemade rolls. Okay, semi-homemade. I bought frozen dough, buttered it up, let it rise, and baked it. Yum. The house smelled like fresh bread, and I totally pull them off as real homemade rolls. Who cares! At least my ass doesn't go into the grocery store on the way to work and grab something! That's what lazy people, really busy working mothers and men do! My black friend, Donna, brought homemade macaroni and cheese. White people don't make macaroni and cheese like they do! We make it with Kraft's help...and sometimes even Velveeta. :) This is not my first encounter with a "sista's" mac & cheese. I have had it before and it has always been different and delicious, but this particular dish was the BEST ever! I told her that I would try it out and see if I could get white chicks started on this potluck delight! She and her mother are going to write everything down, so I can make it just like them. They also bake it in the oven. I've never heard of that before. I'm sure Martha Stewart is one white chick that has made something like this, but sometimes she's a little out there, so I don't always pay attention to what she cooks. I think she should take shortcuts now and then. We also had sweet potato casserole (I love sweet potatoes). I'm sure the Pilgrims brought sweet potatoes to America. They're good people! The university has a Thanksgiving tradition where each person tells what they're thankful for. I was last (of course), so I started telling everything I was thankful for, and I'm sure that I talked a little longer than anyone else, but since I had started my thankful list the other day, I was totally prepared! I wrapped it up as soon as people started cleaning up and taking food to the kitchen. Just kidding. I knew when I had to wrap it up, so then I just said really quickly, "And, I'm thankful for my cat, Jackson, and my fish, Santa Claus" One guy didn't mention his health, family, friends, job (even though I chuckle when people say this), but he said he was thankful for his boat and that he got to fish in his boat. What the? You can think of something better than that! That sounds pitiful! You have friends, you are 45 and live with your Dad, and you're thankful for fish? Well, I ain't never heard of such!

We're having a danged ol' Noreaster! (For real!)
In Missouri, we would use the term "Noreaster" like it was an all-purpose weather term that can be used at your leisure. Like, when I say I saw a jackalope crossing the road. I use "jackalope" for any unidentified rodent-like creature with fur. Well, Noreasters are for real! I swear! You'll be a believer as soon as you read this... As my friend and I were running across the street to the parking garage this evening, the rain was really coming down, and the wind was blowing really hard. We ran across the street, but when we tried to stop, we couldn't. I won't say she's a big girl, but I'm a big girl, and the thought of me running and not being able to stop seems somewhat hilarious to me. I'm thinking yeah right! If you were thinking that, too, that's okay! I understand. But, we really couldn't stop running! The wind was blowing that hard! Cars were gliding across streets due to the wind. The oceanfront looks like it's snowing because of the sea foam flying around. As I watch the ticker at the bottom of the television, it says "...ONLY MISSION-ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL SHOULD REPORT TO THE BASE ON WEDNESDAY..." Because we live in Military Central, they're always saying this sort of stuff. It seems so important and interesting. I will call tonight "MISSION: NOREASTER SURVIVAL!" Seriously, they are giving guidelines for vehicles that can go through the big tunnel (under the ocean to the "Eastern Shore") which are no motorcycles, no 6-wheel vehicles under 15,000 lbs, etc. There's a really long bridge before and after the tunnel, so I guess you might just blow off the bridge if you're not big enough. *They should have had a weight limit for crossing the street downtown this evening! Even though I'm sure I would have met the weight limit, I know some people would not have been safe on that street without an anchor!" The husband has not made much of an appearance in our home the past couple of days. He was in New York last night, and in Jackson, Mississippi tonight. I'm having to deal with this weather mess all by myself. It sucks!
Hopefully, I won't blow away until I get my share of pumpkin pie on Thursday!!!

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Queen Of Cheese said...

I would so want to be a non-Mission essential person at the base so I didn't have to get out in the weather. I've heard the term Noreaster a lot. My Grandfather always used it, course I think it was his way of blaming everything on the North......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home